Friday, April 13, 2007

Wii: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

While I admire this game's breadth, I'd have traded a lot of that breadth for a little more depth. To me, it seemed less a great epic, more a rambling assortment of individually shallow puzzles.

There's nothing inherently wrong with that; Rayman Raving Rabbids is a large collection of mini-games, and it's one I had a lot of fun playing. But unlike Rayman, the puzzles in Zelda aren't particularly fun. They just seem to go on, and on, and on, endlessly. (Fishing, for example, was just about as much fun as the real thing.) I got about a half or a third of the way through, found myself in yet another dungeon or temple or whatever it was, and just put it aside. And I haven't felt like picking it back up.

Shallow fun is OK (in all honesty, that's exactly what I bought a Wii for), but this is shallow non-fun. It's just tedious. There are lots of people who passionately love this game -- I think what they get out of it is the sense that they're inhabiting a huge world, following exciting (for them) quests through it. I understand that, but it still didn't float my boat. I didn't hate it -- I sort of wish it well; I had some fun playing it. But I don't really want to play it any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment